Campaign of the Month: April 2011
Planejammer: The Spelljoined
Vow of Poverty
Vow of Poverty [Exalted]
You do not need money and power, the power was always within your heart. Give your wealth to those in need.
Benefit: You gain bonuses each level, but in exchange you cannot have material wealth. You may carry and use ordinary items (neither masterwork nor magical), simple clothing, and enough food to sustain you for one day. You may not use any magic items, but may benefit from items granted to you on behalf of others (such as being donated a potion to drink, riding on your ally’s construct, or receiving a spell from a friendly caster). You may carry magical gear so long as you obtain no benefit from them (you cannot wear a cloak of resistance, but you can keep it in your bag where it grants you no benefits, and likewise you may hold a magic sword so long as you don’t receive benefit). If you willingly violate this, you immediately lose the benefits of this feat until you have completed a (often difficult) atonement. You are exalted after all.
If you take this feat past 1st level, you do not retroactively gain bonus exalted feats or divine blessings.
|1st||AC Bonus +3, Divine Blessing (Lesser)|
|2nd||Natural Armor +1, DR 1/magic|
|3rd||AC Bonus +4, Bonus Exalted Feat, Divine Blessing (Lesser)|
|4th||Deflection +1, DR 2/magic, Exalted Strike +1 (magic), Resistance +1|
|5th||Ability Score Enhancement +2, AC Bonus +5, Energy Resist 5, Divine Blessing (Lesser)|
|6th||DR 3/magic, Bonus Exalted Feat, Natural Armor +2|
|7th||AC Bonus +6, Divine Blessing (Lesser)|
|8th||Deflection +2, DR 4/magic, Exalted Strike +2, Resistance +2|
|9th||Ability Score Enhancement 2, AC Bonus +7, Bonus Exalted Feat, Divine Blessing (Moderate)|
|10th||DR 5/evil, Energy Resist 10, Natural Armor +3|
|11th||AC Bonus +8, Divine Blessing (Moderate)|
|12th||Bonus Exalted Feat, Deflection +3, DR 6/evil, Exalted Strike +3 (good), Resistance +3|
|13th||Ability Score Enhancement 4/+2, AC Bonus +9, Divine Blessing (Moderate)|
|14th||DR 7/evil, Natural Armor +4|
|15th||AC Bonus +10, Bonus Exalted Feat, Divine Blessing (Moderate), Energy Resist 20|
|16th||Deflection +4, DR 8/evil, Exalted Strike +4, Resistance +4|
|17th||Ability Score Enhancement 6/2, AC Bonus +11, Divine Blessing (Greater)|
|18th||Bonus Exalted Feat, DR 9/evil, Natural Armor +5|
|19th||AC Bonus +12, Divine Blessing (Greater)|
|20th||Deflection +5, DR 10/evil, Energy Resist 30, Exalted Strike +5 (epic), Resistance +5|
AC Bonus (Su): At 1st level an ascetic gains a +3 armor bonus to AC. This is a force effect, like mage armor, and applies to incorporeal touch attacks. It increases by 1 at 3rd and every odd level after.
Divine Blessing (Lesser): The gods favor you, allowing you to select a benefit from the choices below at 1st level and every odd level beyond. Blessings can only selected once unless stated otherwise.
- Blessed Blow (Su): You automatically confirm critical hits against evil creatures and undead.
- Celestial Companion (Ex): You gain the services of a familiar with the celestial template as a wizard half your character level.
- Detect Evil (Sp): You gain detect evil at will. If you already have detect evil (such as through paladin or a spell) you can gain 3 rounds of focus in a single round.
- Noblebright (Su): As a standard action at will you can shine light as a torch, or as small as a candle. The light burns undead. Non-intelligent undead will avoid you unless ordered to attack, and any undead which strikes you with a non-reach or natural weapon takes 1 point of light damage per 2 HD (minimum 1).
- Stigmata (Su): As a standard action touch attack you can heal others at the expense of yourself. You can deal lethal damage to yourself which bypasses DR and resistances, and for every 2 points you are damaged you heal another 1 hp.
- Support of the Gods (Ex): You add your HD as a bonus to strength for determining your carrying capacity.
- Sustenance (Ex): You no longer need to eat or drink. Sleeping only takes 2 hours instead of 8 (though you must still rest 8 hours to refresh spells and similar abilities).
- Unblemished (Su): You are never stained with blood, and are immune to any forms of bleeding damage, or ability damage based on blood loss (such as a Wounding weapon or a vampire’s Blood Drain).
Natural Armor (Ex): At 2nd level the ascetic gains a +1 enhancement bonus to natural armor. This does not stack with effects like barkskin, but does stack with natural armor as part of race or template. You gain an additional +1 natural armor at 4th and every four levels beyond.
Damage Reduction (Su): At 2nd, the ascetic gains damage reduction equal to 1/2 their character level. It starts out as DR/magic, and becomes DR/evil at 10th level and beyond.
Bonus Exalted Feat: At 3rd level you gain a bonus exalted feat, and another bonus exalted feat every three levels beyond.
Deflection (Su): At 4th level an ascetic gains a +1 deflection bonus, and another +1 bonus every four levels.
Exalted Strike (Su): At 4th level, any weapons an ascetic uses gains a +1 enhancement bonus to attack and damage, and counts as a magical weapon. You gain another +1 bonus every four levels. At 12th level, it counts as a good aligned weapon, and at 20th level it counts as an epic weapon (in spite of not being a minimum of +6 enhancement).
Resistance (Su): At 4th level, an ascetic gains a +1 resistance bonus to all saves, and another +1 bonus every four levels.
Ability Score Enhancement (Su): At 5th level, an ascetic gains a +2 enhancement bonus to one ability score of his choice. At 9th (and every four levels beyond) he gains an extra +2 bonus to that score and a +2 bonus to another ability score. The next time he gains a +2 to two ability scores and a +2 to a new score, and so on and so on.
Energy Resistance (Su): At 5th level an ascetic gains energy resistance 5 against acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic. This rises to energy resistance 10 at 10th level, energy resistance 20 at 15th level, and energy resistance 30 at 20th level.
Divine Blessing (Moderate): At 9th and beyond you may select from the moderate or lesser blessing list.
- Celestial Wings (Su): As a standard action you can unfurl glowing ethereal wings and fly with a speed of 60 ft (good). You may fly up to 1 minute/level per day, split up however you wish (minimum 1 minute). Dismissing the wings is a free action.
- Fast Healing (Ex): You gain fast healing 3.
- Greater Stigmata (Su): This acts like stigmata, but now heals on a 1:1 ratio, and you automatically offer a new saving throw against any status effects they are suffering from each time you heal at least 10 hp. Requires stigmata.
- Greater Sustenance (Ex): This acts like sustenance, but now you do not need to breathe or sleep. You are immune to sleep effects, and are always under an endure elements effect. Requires sustenance.
- Holy Strike (Su): Any weapons you use gain the Holy enhancement in your hands.
- Mind Shielding (Ex): You become immune to detect thoughts, discern lies, and any attempt to to discern your alignment.
- Spell Resistance (Su): You obtain spell resistance equal to your HD + 10, toggled as a free action. If you already have spell resistance, you gain +3 to your spell resistance instead.
- Walk on Water (Su): You can walk on water as if it was solid ground, and can always choose to surface to the top of the water at a rate of 60 ft. a round, no swim check required. You can move on other liquids as well, but you are not protected from any side effects such as trying to walk on acid or lava.
Divine Blessing (Greater): At 17th level and beyond you may select from the greater, moderate, or lesser blessings.
- Death Ward (Su): You are constantly under the effects of death ward.
- Freedom of Movement (Su): You are constantly under the effects of freedom of movement.
- Greater Celestial Wings (Su): This acts like celestial wings, but now permits flight up to 90 ft (perfect), and is constant. Requires celestial wings.
- Martyr (Su): If within 10 ft. of an ally, you may choose to absorb any hit point damage they receive, using your own defenses such as damage reduction and energy resistance, as if you were targeted. You must absorb the entirely of the damage, and it does not absorb status effects or non-hit point sources of damage. Absorbing damage is a free action. If you perish from damage caused by by this ability, your resurrection costs (gold and experience) are cut in half.
- Mind Blank (Su): You are constantly under the effects of mind blank. Requires mind shielding.
- Regeneration (Ex): Your fast healing becomes regeneration, bypassed by acid, cold, electric, fire, and evil damage.
- Second Wind (Su): Once per day if you are killed you immediately are brought back to life by a heal spell. If killed by a death effect or other source of non-hp damage you still respawn, but are left with 1 hp.
- True Seeing (Su): You are constantly under the effects of true seeing.
Adapted from the Book of Exalted Deeds