Campaign of the Month: April 2011
Planejammer: The Spelljoined
School divination; Level bard 3, sorcerer/wizard 3
Casting Time 1 minute
Components V, S, M (a crystal lens and a small mirror)
Range 60 ft.
Area cone-shaped emanation from you to the extreme of the range
Duration concentration, up to 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw see text; Spell Resistance no
You can tell whether an area contains a magical portal or the effect of a gate spell. If you study an area for 1 round, you know the sizes and locations of any such portals in the area. Once you find a portal, you can study it. (If you find more than one portal, you can study only one at a time.)
Each round you study a portal, you can discover one property of the portal, in this order.
- Any key or command word needed to activate the portal.
- Any special circumstances governing the portal’s use (such as specific times when it can be activated).
- Whether the portal is one-way or two-way.
- A glimpse of the area where the portal leads. You can look at the area where the portal leads for 1 round; the range of your vision is the spell’s range. Analyze portal does not allow other divination spells or spell-like abilities to extend through the portal. For example, you cannot also use detect magic or detect evil to study the area where the portal leads while viewing the area with analyze portal.
For each property, you make a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) against DC 17. If fail, you can try again in the next round.
Analyze portal has only a limited ability to reveal unusual properties, as follows.
- Random Portals: The spell reveals only that the portal is random and whether it can be activated now. It does not reveal when the portal starts or stops functioning.
- Variable Portals: The spell reveals only that the portal is variable. If you study the portal’s destination, the spell reveals only the destination to which the portal is currently set.
- Creature-Only Portals: The spell reveals this property. If you study the portal’s destination, the spell reveals where the portal sends creatures. If it is the kind of portal that sends creatures to one place and their equipment to another place, the spell does not reveal where the equipment goes.
- Malfunctioning Portals: The spell reveals only that the portal is malfunctioning, not what sort of malfunction the portal produces.